Thursday, January 24, 2013

Here's a question for ya...


Question: If you were going to be stranded in a remote cabin for the next year what 5 movies would you take with you and why?

After sorting through many, many movies, my answer would have to be, in no particular order...

#1-Pride and Prejudice
 It almost feels like I have to pick a favorite child because there are several versions of this timeless story that I find endearing.  Nevertheless, the top two contenders are; the 2005 movie and the 1995 BBC television version.  However, once I weighed it all out, I would have to choose the 2005 movie, staring Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyn.  It would pain me to leave the BBC television version with Colin Firth (in whom I adore as Mr. Darcy) behind.  Yet, being the sappy romantic I am, I can’t discredit the beautiful music, cinematography, and tension between Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy that is so brilliantly portrayed in the 2005 movie.  So scrumptious!

 # 2- 1987 Overboard
I can’t even count how many times I have quoted, “I just ate a bug!” in Annie Proffit’s snotty voice, and for no particular reason, except that I find the scene where he makes her ride in the back of the pick-up truck strangely hilarious.  I have seen this movie many times, and every time I laugh harder than the last.  This movie has almost everything that I like in it—comedy, deceit, oddballs, rich snotty people, the hardworking underachieved, and, of course, romance.  There are rumors that they are remaking Overboard, casting J-lo as Annie Proffit.  Why?  If they do remake this movie they should cast Kate Hudson…it is only right. Don’t you think?

#3-The Princess Bride


 

Scaling the Cliffs of Insanity, battling rodents of unusual size, facing torture in the Pit of Despair--true love has never been so hard to achieve.  I adore this movie so much that my husband and I have hosted a "Princess Bride Party" where we served anybody want a peanut peanuts, R.O.U.S's ribs, and screaming eel. Aw, good times!  Nerdy, I know, but sharing this movie with my daughters was a bonding experience for me, and watching them be just as enthralled as I was the first time I saw this movie was rather fun.  How many of you have said these hilarious quotes before whenever you feel the need?
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

“Stop that rhyming I mean it.  Anybody want a peanut?”

“I’m on the brute squad…You are the brute squad!”

“Everybody moooooooove!”

“I’m not a witch I’m your wife, and I don’t know if I wanna be that anymore.”

I could go on and on.  The point is, this movie is a classic for a reason, and would most certainly be one of MY five.  They are supposedly remaking this movie as well, which scares me.  Why mess with something this good?

#4- Lord of the rings
 
 
If I couldn’t bring the whole series, and I was forced to pick just one, then it would have to be Fellowship.    Its approach is noticeably different, both storyline and visual.  It is like two movies in one because the first half of Fellowship feels like an entirely different movie to me--it's charming and not really too dark, although I love dark and sinister as well.  However, when Frodo is stabbed, there is a shift, making us understand how real the threat is.  The cinematography and music are brilliant and it pulls me right in.  Besides the mystical draw of other worlds and creatures, there is a hint of romance, which for me must be in any movie or story to get my attention.

   #5-50 first Dates
After I finally narrowed all the movies I love down to this one and The Wedding Singer, it was still hard to pick.  Both star Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, both are produced by Adam Sandler, who I love…most of the time.  Both are entertaining, funny, and a love story.  However, after much thought, 50 First Dates won.  It is so sweet how Adam Sandlers character keeps trying and trying to get her to remember, even when it seems hopeless.  But he never gives up.   How cute is that?  Some of you may be asking how I could pick this romantic comedy over all the Nicolas Sparks movies?  Well, first, I am a sucker for a good laugh, and, with the exception of The Lucky one, I hate how all his movies end.  If I am going to take the time to watch a movie it better have a happy ending, and I mean happy.  One where it is tied up with a neat bow and every character I have fallen in love with gets exactly what they want, and every villain gets what they deserve.  Yep, I am that cheesy! 

I would love to know what movies you'd bring and why…maybe you could convince me to bump one of my five movies and add your favorite.  I am that fickle, and there are so many I love!       

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. "Wuv" the Princess Bride! 50 first is good too but I would probably choose The Wedding Singer. Sound of Music!! White Christmas, Despicable Me, Harry Potter (but which one), Bourne (which one), Toy Story, UP, ....... I can't do it!!!

    heidi

    ReplyDelete

Inspire me...